Friday, December 16, 2011

Christmas Decorating


We’ve tried to get into the Christmas spirit in China so we put gingerbread men on the windows. It isn’t quite the same as eating/smelling the gingerbread cookies my family puts on the Christmas tree all the time, but it makes our Chinese room feel a little more festive. And (un)fortunately this year I don’t have to spend the Christmas season getting the fat dog we live with (Ginny) to stop eating the legs off the gingerbread men on the tree.

We also made the Dayna and Ashley Christmas Playlist that we’ve played so many times that we had to take a break and go back to our original playlist. My favorite Christmas song this year is: “I’ll be home for Christmas.” It’s exciting that I’ll be back home so soon! But I’m going to miss China a lot.


I wish I had crafty skills or ideas like one girl in our group. I went into Madeline’s room the day after Thanksgiving and this is what I found:

Who knew a little yarn and paper could bring Christmas to China?

I really liked what President Utchdorf said in the Christmas devotional this year about the essence of Christmas being much more sturdy than the “minor things” we like to adorn Christmas with. Things like Christmas trees, decorations, gingerbread cookies, piles of presents, nativity sets.

“If we are only willing to open our hearts and minds to the spirit of Christmas, we will recognize wonderful things happening around us that will direct or redirect our attention to the sublime. It is usually something small—we read a verse of scripture; we hear a sacred carol and really listen, perhaps for the first time, to its words; or we witness a sincere expression of love. In one way or another, the Spirit touches our hearts, and we see that Christmas, in its essence, is much more sturdy and enduring than the many minor things of life we too often use to adorn it.” --President Utchdorf

No comments:

Post a Comment