Saturday, July 24, 2010

Peru


I've spent the last 15 days in Palmeras, Peru on a Humanitarian Trip with an organization called Youthlinc. I heard about this group when I was a junior in high school and have wanted to go for a long time. I was so excited when I finally got there.

The village is right on the Amazon River so we had to take these little boats everywhere. The first time I got in one of the boats I was sure we were going to tip over. By the end of the trip, I loved those little boats.

We were in Palmeras to build a school, a medical shed and a sidewalk. Let's just say the Peruvian people have a lot of muscle. They were always helping. Even the little kids wanted to paint.


I worked mostly in the classrooms with the kids. We did a lot of activities which the kids loved. And they are the cutest kids I have ever seen!


We were able to finish everything we came to do. We gave out hundreds of shirts, jolly ranchers, long socks, soccer cleats, pants. We also left school supplies, medical supplies and a lot of memories.
I'll never forget the time I spent trying to talk to the kids in my very very broken Spanish and the awesome team I went with. We had so many good times in Peru.
I was really sad to say goodbye to all the new people I met and the beautiful Amazon.



3 comments:

  1. CUTE kids!! Oh man, that sunset looks GORGEOUS! How fun. I can't wait to hear about it more in person! See you soon, chica. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ash... Finally! I have been waiting forever for you to update the blog! Oh my goodness! these pictures are so cute! Looks like an awesome experience! looks like you had a lot of fun! I cant wait to hear all about it! You are amazing ash! i love ya!

    ReplyDelete
  3. cutest little kids ever! I can't wait to hear all about your world travels when we are reunited.

    ReplyDelete