Friday, May 28, 2010

Scotland

I'm sorry I've left you hanging so long on the rest of the trip...but I've finished all the reading I have to do for the semester so that's a good feeling. Only two more papers to write before finals!

Scotland is so so beautiful.
Here was my first impression of Scotland at the airport:

Yes, there are quite a few men running around in full kilt attire. (We were joking one day about those "squorts" we used to wear in elementary school-- a skirt with built in shorts underneath. I guess I wasn't the only one with a mom who bought her those haha. We wondered if Scottish people wore skilts instead?)
Our flight was at 6:30 am which meant we got up again at 4 am. I really don't know what we were thinking when we booked those flights but we got the full day in Scotland like we wanted to. The very first place we went in Scotland was of course Elephant House.

We were all starving so what better place to eat than the cafe where J.K. Rowling wrote Harry Potter. And it's true you can look out the window and see the Edinburgh Castle.


It was really quiet in there with old ladies drinking tea. Perfect place to write a novel.
Edinburgh is big city, but it seems like no matter where you are you can look up and see the Edinburgh Castle. It looks like one of those castles that sit on a huge cliff with lots of water below it, but instead there is this huge park called Princes Gardens which is gorgeous and the perfect place for basking.


My friend Sarah, who almost loves Harry as much as me, enlightened me on the art of basking. The correct form of basking is laying on a sloped surface in the sun doing absolutely nothing except basking. So during the middle of the afternoon we basked in Scotland. I think I even got sunburned which was exciting. We watched these guys play soccer ( and yes the ball almost hit me 200 times as usual) and finally these two policemen came over to reprimand them. But the I don't think it did very much good. The police were strolling through the park in neon vests, eating ice cream cones. What a life. Did I mention that Scotland was really hot the whole time were there? It's supposed to be freezing there so I bought a scarf and gloves before I went and packed all sweaters, a sweatshirt and a coat. I would have been fine with a T-shirt. But I love being hot so it was great.
So Sarah found the craziest thing in Scotland. We walked through this old, old cemetary and we were talking about Twilight, my favorite subject, when all of a sudden Sarah says, I think that grave says Isabella Cullen on it! Sure enough there it was. I think I'm going to sue Stephenie when I get home for plagarism. Then maybe I'll come back to Scotland with the money I'll win.

The second day we were in Scotland we decided to do a bus tour that would take us up into northern Scotland to see the country. Our tour guide was hilarious. He had this heavy Scottish accent and he enjoyed telling the most gruesome Scottish stories he could think of. It was nice. (Scottish accents by the way are way harder to understand than Irish accents. It took me like 5 minutes to realize this girl was asking me which "spice" I wanted and not what "side" I wanted at this restuarant.)
Scotland kind of looks like Utah in some places which was weird. But it is beautiful.

We went all the way to Loch Ness which was kind of exciting. Did you know Loch means Lake? You would have thought I'd hvae figured that out by now. You learn something new everyday.

We went on this hour long boat cruise on Loch Ness looking for Nessie.

Here's me and Sarah:

If you get a picture of Nessie you can send it in for a billion pound prize money.

Looks like I came on a lucky day!
All of us were sad to say goodbye to Scotland...my roommate was already planning a trip back with her friend on the way back.

No comments:

Post a Comment