Monday, March 8, 2010

Movies


So Thursday after class my
roommates convinced me to go with them to see
Alice and Wonderland at midnight. (I decided to ignore the fact that I had to be at work at 8 am the next morning and take a french test..)
I've been thinking though, about the discussion we had in class about the rating system and the prophets asking us not to watch R- rated movies, and not being naive and I've come to some conclusions for me. I'm definitely not saying this goes for everyone, but this is what I think.
I think its really important to be aware of the world. Only watching Disney Channel isn't the answer for keeping yourself away from degrading things. It's important to face the reality that there are awful things that happened and are happening in the world. I don't think the prophets want us to be unaware of what's going on. They want us to be involved and aware. How many times a week is President Monson traveling to different parts of the world? Of anyone, He sees and experiences the happenings of the world. I believe then, that we are told not to watch rated R movies because they have elements in them that aren't going to better us as a person.
If movies were the only way receive information about the world, I could see that it would be justified to watch movies like Schindler's List. But it's not the only way or necessarily the best way to become aware. We have the Internet, newspapers, journals, books, airplanes, telephones... a million other ways to know the happenings in the world. I believe that we can find ways of understanding the world that aren't going to expose us to visuals, or language, or ideas that could really be damaging to us.

1 comment:

  1. I agree with you Ashley! I missed the discussion day in class about R rated movies but I think that although we don't need to be of the world, we do need to know what happened and why, so that we can prevent similar things from happening in the future, and understand how we got to where we are today. I'm not saying that any R rated movie is acceptable to watch, and in fact there are many, many that are unacceptable, but movies such as Schindler's List and Hotel Rwanda have definitely helped to shape my view of the world.

    ReplyDelete